Friday, January 14, 2011

GHOSTY McGHOSTWRITER MEETS THE ANGRY, ANGRY, ANGRY STAND-UP COMIC, part two

Things were going on behind my back.  I hate it when things go on behind my back.

Turned out that Literary McAgent had pitched me to Team McGrouchy after the male ghostwriter who Literary initially wanted for the project -- remember, Cranky McGrouchy wanted to work with a dude -- had the gall to bring in his own agent to negotiate with Literary.  (As she was too cool for school, Literary couldn't stomach being involved in a package that wasn't her's, and her's alone.)  Turned out that I was number one, two, and three on the list of potential ghosts for Cranky's book, and there wasn't any number four.

I had no idea this had gone down until 8:45 on a Saturday night, when I was hunkered down at home for a night of Netflix.

Ring.

Me: H'lo?

Wimpy McGrouchy: Ghosty?

Me: Yeah.

Wimpy McGrouchy: Wimpy McGrouchy.

Me: Who?

Wimpy McGrouchy: Wimpy McGrouchy.  Cranky McGrouchy's manager.

Me: Oh.  Wow.  This is a surprise.

Wimpy McGrouchy: What, Literary McAgent didn't tell you I'd be calling?

Me: Yeah, no.  Not so much.

Wimpy McGrouchy: Okay, well, Cranky is doing a couple sets at The Giggle Factory, and she's going on in about 15 minutes.

Me: Um, I live over an hour from The Giggle Factory.

Wimpy McGrouchy: Cool.  So I guess we'll see you for the second set.

So much for the Netflix.

I made myself presentable, slapped on some clothes, Mapquested The Giggle Factory, and split.  Forty-five minutes later, I were lost as hell.  (Suck it, Mapquest.)  Twenty minutes after that, I got my bearings back and found The Giggle Factory.  Fifteen minutes after that, I found a parking spot.  Oy.

I'll spare you the details of tracking down Wimpy, because a recounting of badly given directions via text isn't the least bit interesting.

When we finally connected, Wimpy took me into the dressing room, and there, in all of her glory, sat Cranky McGrouchy.  I pasted on a smile, stuck out my hand, and said, "Ghosty McGhostwriter.  A pleasure."

Cranky looked at my hand, then looked at me, then my hand, then me.  Then she said to Wimpy, "Yo, cuz, how do we get some food up in this bitch?"

Next: Cranky and Ghosty converse.  Ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment